Monday, June 25, 2007

Tied Fleece Blanket Tutorial


This is a blanket that my girls made in January 2007, as a going away present for their piano teacher. They did a wonderful job and their teacher LOVED it.
Here is a simple tutorial for it. And there is absolutely no sewing!
**You need roughly 1 1/2 to 3 yards of fleece for each side of your blanket. It just really depends on how big you want your blanket to be. It is fun to get coordinating material, or you could do it all the same. Just depends on your taste.
**Lay out your fabric with the wrong sides facing each other and cut both pieces the same exact size. I found my kitchen table was the easiest place for me to do this.
**Now you have your blanket laid out with the right sides facing out and the wrong sides on the inside. You can pin it together if you need to but you need to make sure you pin it about 4-5 inches in from the sides. I found it kinda stuck together so it was not really needed.
**Now you are ready to start cutting your fleece. Start in one corner and start cutting about 1-2 inches apart. Each cut needs to be about 4 inches long. The width and length do not have to be exact, but you do need to be consistent with whatever you choose. I just cut both pieces of fabric at the same time, that way I new the pieces matched exactly for tying. Work your way all the way around all 4 sides of the fabric. You will have 4 inch squares off the corners that you can just throw away. That is just extra fabric.
**Now that you are done cutting, you are ready to start tying. Just tie the top and bottom together with each of those strips you just cut. Tie the top piece that matches up to the bottom piece. Work your way all the way around the blanket. I like to tie opposite sides together to help keep it a little straighter. I also like to double knot it. Seems to hold up better.
**That is it, a simple but lovely gift.


No comments: