Sunday, February 15, 2009

Peroneal Brevis Tendon Surgery

Our "normal" life.....
Well that comment is kinda a joke. Seems like "normal" for us is totally different than "normal" for other families. Praise the Lord the He makes us each normal within our own range.
Well, around the 19th of January, I woke up to my ankle being swollen and sore. The sore you feel when you over do it. So I just thought I would watch it and see what happens. It wasn't really painful, so obviously it couldn't be anything bad, right? Well about a week later we had my doctor that I had been seeing for my Plantar Fasciitis , on the other foot, look at it. He didn't think it looked good so sent me in to get an MRI. The test revealed that I had tore my peroneal tendons that lie on the outside ankle bone. Surgery was really my only option.

On Friday, February 13th, I went in for surgery. We were thrilled to find out that both tendons were tore, but still attached and the surgery was a smooth one without any complications. Praise the Lord. Here is a picture of the "good" leg. The girls found it really funny how they mark up the good leg to keep from making any mistakes and cutting on the good leg.

Now for recovery.... Since they gave me a block during surgery, I really didn't feel any pain for about the 1st 24 hours or so. But now that the block has worn off, I can feel pain, sometimes pretty intense. I am not allowed to put any weight on my right foot for 6 weeks. This makes simple, everyday things a chore. I praise the Lord that I have such a wonderful loving family and friends that have volunteered to help out. The other thing I honestly praise the Lord for is that I went through anesthesia without getting any stomach sickness. This is such a huge blessing. I will try to keep my blog up to date on progress. Right now it is hard to type and think due to the drugs. If you want to learn more about the tear and surgery, here are a couple of links.....
Here are a just a couple more pictures that the girls took. Not a great on of me, but oh well.


Until later, I leave you with an awesome Psalm that I am working on memorizing.
1God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
3Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.
4There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.
5God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
6The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
7The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
8Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
9He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
10Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
11The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
Psalm 46

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will definitely keep you in my prayers!

And don't worry.. I don't think a truly 'normal' family exists.. If it does, I would like to see what it looks like. lol

Miss_Holly said...

Hi Shuranda! Lord willing your recovery will be swift. I think you should probably tell your hubby since you must rest for six weeks, you might as well do it on the beach (:

Wendy Glosser said...

Awwww my friend. Wish I could be there to nurse you!!! Sending lots of hugs your way!!