Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pumpkin, Pumpkin, Pumpkin

I have come to the conclusion that I really do LOVE pumpkin.   You see, I started thinking about this last month.  In fact, at the beginning of August, I was really longing for "Fall."  Fall means pumpkins and pumpkins mean fall decorations, but most of all, pumpkins mean very yummy foods!  I even started pinning pumpkin recipes in their own folder on Pinterest.  :)

Now that it is finally "officially" fall, I can feel justified to start cooking with lots of pumpkin.  Yes, yesterday, September 23rd was the first day of fall.

Here are just a couple of the recipes I have already made.  Enjoy!

_________________

Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese
via Skinny Taste
  • 8 oz Philadelphia 1/3 fat cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (canned is fine)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp agave nectar

  • Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and beat until smooth. You can easily 1/4 or halve this recipe if you wish to make less. I plan on making a no bake cheesecake with the leftover.

    _________________


    And this quick bread recipe is wonderful. 
    Pumpkin Cranberry Bread

    3 cups flour
    5 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
    2 cups Sugar
    1 15 oz can 100% Pure Pumpkin
    4 large egg
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup orange juice; or water
    1 cup sweetened dried, fresh or frozen cranberries

    A moist and delectable pumpkin bread with tart fresh cranberries. Have a slice for breakfast or enjoy as an afternoon snack.
    Preheat oven at 350°F . Grease and flour two 9x5" loaf pans. Combine flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, vegetable oil and orange juice in large mixer bowl; beat until just blended. Add pumpkin mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in
    cranberries. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
    For Three 8x4" loaf pans: Prepare as above. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
    For Five or Six 5x3" mini loaf pans: Prepare as above. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes.
    Yield: 2 loaves