Once we got to Dauphin Island we had to find our way to the fort.
At first we were confused, but then we saw some wonderful signs. They told us where EVERYTHING in town was from
the fort, to the vet. J
We finally got to Fort Gaines and it was amazing. It
reminded me somewhat of the missions we have in San Antonio.
Fort Gaines was built and established in 1821 for the
defense of Mobile Bay and was named after General Edmund Pendleton Gaines.
Here is a “window” that they would use to look out. This one
was hit by a ship called the U.S.S Chickasaw during the battle of Mobile Bay.
These were the bathrooms. They would sit ten men at a time.
Over the course of a day these “benches” would see over 400 people! I can’t imagine the smell either. There was no flushing back then. The tide would come in and carry the waste
away, but that only happened once a day.
Once we finished Fort Gaines, we got on the fairy to go to Fort
Morgan. On the fairy, there was a really
nice couple who let us get a picture with their motorcycle!
Someone was nice enough to take a picture for us!
We got off of the fairy and went to go into the fort. We paid the lady at the gate and she told us about some people just down the road that were bird banding. Denielle and I were immediately interested. When we got there they had a yellow warbler that they had just finished banding. I was able to take some picture of it. The gentleman holding the little bird offered to let one of us release it. I said that Denielle could so that I could take pictures.
After releasing the bird we were talking to the gentleman
when, suddenly, over the radio, we heard someone’s cry for help! Two people ran
off to help. While we were waiting, the gentleman was telling us that there
were several cotton mouths in that area, and that they were rather aggressive.
A couple minutes later the people came back and the lady was holding this hawk!
She was SO beautiful.
After she flew off I was able to take pictures of a chickadee that had
almost been forgotten about in all of the excitement.
After I had taken pictures the guy asked me if I had gotten the chance to release a bird yet. I told him no and he told me that I could release this one.
After that we went to fort Morgan. I thought that it was a
prettier fort that fort Gaines. I think that if I lived here, I would do ALL of
my photo shoots there!
A prince in disguise!
After we finished with the Fort, we went through golf shores
up to Pensacola. We saw the Pensacola Lighthouse. Construction began in 1856,
it was light in 1859 and is still in use to this day. Its height is 191 feet
above water, and from the top you can see for 27 miles! This light house replaced the original light
house, built in 1824. That light house was the first one on the gulf coast!
We walked behind the light house and saw the white sands of
Florida. They were AMAZING! Here is a picture; the sand in front is the
kind of sand that I am used to seeing in Texas. Behind that, you can see the
white sand. We did not get a chance to actually go down to the beach, but we
really enjoyed seeing it. (Do I see another vacation in the future?) J
We left Florida and drove back up into Alabama and stayed
the night in Montgomery. The Lord blessed us and we were able to stay the night
in a Drury hotel, which we are both comfortable with, and familiar with. They also have biscuits and gravy for this
southern girl!
I hope that you are enjoying following our adventure and
that you are not bored to tears. I miss you all and can’t wait to see you
again!

1 comment:
All future vacations will be paid for by the author of this blog post.
Post a Comment