Sunday, October 16, 2011

October 14- K's View

This morning we got up and went down to breakfast. It was so nice to have real food.  Biscuits, gravy, and eggs.  Mmm.   Once we packed up, we headed out towards the capitol.  Montgomery has the most interesting downtown I have ever seen!   You drive through an area that does not look like the best part of town, and then it just stops, and you are in downtown, with the capitol and all of the government businesses.   Another thing that is strange is that there are NO skyscrapers.   Absolutely none!    It was the weirdest thing ever!
The capitol itself was BEAUTIFUL!  On the outside it was not all grandeur and pompous, but it was very pretty. On the inside it was absolutely stunning! It looked like the inside of a mansion. It had two spiral staircases. Here is an interesting fact about those staircases. Each step is supported by the one below. There is no center pole or support system.
                                                                  Helen Keller statue
 
 Thank you to all of the military men and women who fight and have died for our freedom.
                                                                   Freedom is not free.

 
                                                       staircase


 
                                       I loved all of the detail work on this chandelier

 
                                                                 A page in an old book

 
                                                                  Old glasses or spectacles!


 
I got to stand on the place where Jefferson Davis was Inaugurated the president of the C.S.A on February 18, 1861

 
I love the contrast between the black and white of the balcony.


 
This is the first White house of the confederacy.  Jefferson Davis and his family lived here until the confederate capitol was moved to Richmond in the summer of 1861.   I love the green shutters. It’s so country looking.

 
After seeing the capitol and the White house, we left Montgomery and headed for Tuskegee. We were going to the Tuskegee museum. We got about half way through it when we decided to leave. It was not very good. There was nothing wrong with it morally it was just bland.

Afterwards we went to Andersonville.
Thank you to all of the men and women who lost their freedom to ensure ours!
 

We left Andersonville and came across a Mennonite bakery. We got the BEST sourdough bread ever. It almost melted in your mouth it was so good!
In the yard of the bakery there was on of these old plows. I have ALWAYS wanted to take a picture of one of them and now I got my chance!

 
                                                  We saw these huge cotton fields on the side of the road. It bought back a lot of memories.  Oh how I miss the cotton fields in Altus!

 
We stayed the night in another Drury, in Atlanta.  I froze half of the night, but I am enjoying the cooler weather. I will use warmer blankets the rest of the trip though.
-K

No comments: